1. It’s not a blank page; it’s a clean slate.
2. If you can’t play like a child, you can’t create like an adult.
3. Always work with your muse. But also work without her.
4. The audience is not that patient.
5. Structure is for the audience’s unconscious mind, not their conscious one.
6. Everybody likes a surprise.
8. Nothing should be arbitrary.
9. The best creations only appear to be effortless.
10. Generate a body of work, even without venue for it.
Originally published January 28, 2013 in Bitter Lemons.